What is QR code?
A QR ("Quick Response") code is a two-dimensional bar code that can store website URL's, business card, plain text, and pretty much any other alphanumeric data.
Why advertising with QR code?
QR Codes have become common in consumer advertising. In general, a user takes a photo of the code on their mobile device as a QR code scanner with a mobile application such as Scan2D QR Code Manager. The phone recognizes the code and automatically directs the user to the website associated with the code.
QR code has become a center of the advertising strategy, as it provides the fastest and simplest way to access the information compares manually enter a specific URL, especially on the mobile devices. More important it also provides better conversion rate (the probability complete a sale) since the little delay or effect to bring the advertisement to the viewer, the potential customer.
And what makes a good QR Code?
Easy, user friendly? Of course! But first, we have to fully understand the user’s expectation of scanning a QR (Quick Response) Code: it’s definitely not an error message says “cannot find the code or it is damaged”. Then is the link to a company’s web site what we’re looking for? Not really. While a web site is better than a useless error message, it’s still far from the minimal requirements of a great code.
- It has to WORK! It takes a lot of motivation for a potential customer to scan a QR code. Thus, a bad response to a QR code (or worse: one that doesn’t connect at all) will discourage potential customers from buying the product, assuming they can reach it at all.
- It has to be a MOBILE FRIENDLY. Any link that requires display on a screen larger than the regular mobile format is useless. Most customers will stop at this point since it’s awkward to read.
- It has to be directly related to the QR Code (if a QR Code is printed on a printer’s box, it has to be related to that specific printer), it shouldn’t link to the company’s main web site.
With these three steps met, you’re on your way to making a great QR code. Next, you’ll want to make your QR code even more user-friendly:
- EASY TO SCAN - SIZE. It doesn’t necessarily have to be as big as possible, but a decent size for a reasonable scan distance is what you should aim for here. To calculate a right size of QR Code, consult the Right QR Code Version and Error Correction Level guide.
- EASY TO SCAN - DISPLAY LOCATIONS. A good QR Code knows the user’s location, helping them get a faster response.
- TARGETED CONTENTS. An excellent QR code is designed based on the user’s expectation (for example, a QR code on a printer box will connect the customer to the printer's specification, a YouTube video shows the printer’s performance, provide a brief tutorial on menu navigation and post-sale support, etc.).
- And, GET MORE INFO, QUICKLY! Customers are constantly on the move and have little time (See Busy & Lazy Theory) – they want everything and quick! They want to access social media, e-mail, telephone and web site with a click, without search or having to look up links for the company web site. This is a great first step! Keep in mind that the customer scans the QR code because they already show some interest to the product. From text to images to videos, the more information that you feed the customers, the more likely they are to make a purchase.
How to advertise with QR code successfully?
First, target your audience and analyze what are they actually looking for, at the moment they saw your advertisement? Then, make sure deliver customer wanted, simple and attractive information. Last and the most important, never under estimate the power of social networking. Show viewers articles, images or even videos at first glance on your Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and Pinterest, etc. And encourage them share your products, services or the advertisement on the social media.
How to increase scan rate?
- Encourage customers: Invite users to interact with your Code by placing a “Scan & Share” sign next to it.
- Attract with coupons or discounts: Provide special coupons or discounts to attract customers scan your code.
- Download right QR Code App: recommend Scan2D, the best QR codes scan and management application, which can view and share on social networking with a single click!